Fields of research
External and internal population migration (forced migration, irregular migration, immigrant entrеpreneurship, gender aspect of migration, migration and aging, migration and ICT, migration and spatial disparities in development); immigrant integration and integration policies regarding immigrants and refugees
Current research projects
The year of receiving the highest degree of professional qualification PhD, 2008, University of Belgrade
Vesna Lukić (née Bodiroga) was born in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1974, where she completed primary school and Second High School. She received her academic education at the University of Belgrade. She graduated in geography at the Faculty of Geography, University of Belgrade (1997), and completed post-graduate studies in demography at the Institute of Demography of the Faculty of Geography, where in 2003 she defended her master’s thesis. She defended her doctoral dissertation in October 2008, at the Faculty of Geography, University of Belgrade.
From 1999 to 2010, she worked at the “Jovan Cvijić” Geographical Institute, SASA. Since 2010, she has been employed at the Demographic Research Center of the Institute of Social Sciences – since 2010 as a Research Associate, since 2015 as a Senior Research Associate, and since 2022 as a Principal Research Fellow.
Vesna Lukić was continuously engaged within national and international scientific research projects, including:
- “Improving Institutional Capacities and Fostering Cooperation to Tackle the Impacts of Transnational Youth Migration” – YOUMIG (2017-2019),
- “Managing Migration and its Effects in South-East Europe” – SEEMIG (2012-2014), and
- “Establishment of Efficient System for Prevention and Suppression of Illegal Migrations on the Territory of the Republic of Serbia” (2013–2014).
Since 2023, she is principal investigator of the project “International Student Migration in the Serbian context and (Re)Construction of Identity: Main Issues and Inputs for Policy Making“ (IS-MIGaIN) financed by the Science Fund of the Republic of Serbia as part of the Identities call.
In her previous career, she was an editor (2010) and a member of the editorial board of the Journal of the Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijić” SASA (2015 and 2016). She is a guest editor of the journal Forum geografic, published by the University of Craiova, Department of Social Sciences, Department of Geography, Romania.
She has published a large number of scientific papers in relevant international and national journals. In addition to reviewing contributions for international and national monographs, thematic anthologies and papers in international and national journals, she was also engaged as an evaluator of bilateral, scientific and technological cooperation projects through the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia.
She is a member of a Committee for Population Studies – Department of Social Studies of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts.
Membership of professional organisations
– European Association for Population Studies (EAPS)
– Association of Demographers of Serbia
Thе International Student Migration in the Serbian context and (Re)Construction of Identity: Main Issues and Inputs for Policy Making (IS-MIGaIN) research project, 2023–2025, supported by the Science Fund of the Republic of Serbia
Work in education
– Chairperson of the committee for the evaluation and defense of Ljupka Kelijašević Mandić’s doctoral dissertation entitled “Cyclicality and reversibility of migration of asylum seekers in selected countries of the Western Balkans”, defended in 2020 at the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Novi Sad, Department of Sociology.
– Member of the committee for the evaluation and defense of Jelena Predojević-Despić’s doctoral dissertation, “Migration of highly educated persons from Serbia since 1991 to Canada and the United States of America”, defended in 2015 at the Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade.
Lukić, V. (2022). Migration and Mobility Patterns in Serbia. In: E. Manić, V. Nikitović & P. Djurović (Eds.), The Geography of Serbia. World Regional Geography Book Series (157-167). Cham: Springer Science.
Lukić, V. & Tomašević, A. (2020). Immigrant integration regimes in Europe: Incorporating the Western Balkan countries. Acta geographica Slovenica, 60(1), 143–153.
Лукић, В. (2018). Од имиграције до интеграције – можемо ли да учимо од земаља са развијеним политикама интеграције миграната? Зборник Матице српске за друштвене науке, 167(3), 639–649.
Лукић, В. (2017). О односу информационо-комуникационих технологија и међународних миграција. Становништво, 55(2), 53–68.
Lukić, V. (2016). Understanding Transit Asylum Migration: Evidence from Serbia. International Migration, 54(4), 31–43.