Director of Institute
Work in education
Mentoring work with doctoral students at the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Niš, and at the Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Sarajevo. Membership in defense committees for eight doctoral theses at the Faculty of Political Sciences and the Faculty of Geography, University of Belgrade. Mentoring young researchers in scientific research and development at the Institute of Social Sciences.
From 2007 to 2013, teaching courses such as “Political Theory” and “Human Rights” at the Faculty of Law and Political Studies, Singidunum University, at the undergraduate level, and courses on “Theories of Ethnicity” and “Multiculturalism” at the postgraduate level.
Fields of research
Political Theory; Multiculturalism and Ethnicity; Human Rights and Social Inclusion of Marginalized Groups.
Current research projects
The Legacy of Yugoslavia in the European and Post-Yugoslav Social and Political Context; Methodology for Monitoring Public Policies on Social Inclusion of Roma and Other Marginalized Groups; Multiculturalism Policies in Southeastern and Central Europe
The year of receiving the highest degree of professional qualification 2007.
He was born in 1961 in Zemun, where he completed his classical gymnasium education. He received his education at the Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Belgrade, where in 2007 he defended his doctoral thesis titled “Multiculturalism Policy in Southeastern Europe: The Case of the Serbian National Minority.”
His scientific development was significantly influenced by his work in the Committee for Human Rights and National Minorities and the Committee for the Study of Roma Life and Customs of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, where he collaborated closely with Miloš Macura, Vojislav Stanovčić, and Ljuba Tadić.
He left his position at the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts in 2002 and became an advisor in the Government of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, working in the ministries of justice and human rights.
He left the state administration in 2003 and dedicated himself to work in civil society. He founded the Center for Ethnicity Research, which brought together a large number of experts and students dedicated to multiculturalism issues.
From 2005, he worked at the Institute for Philosophy and Social Theory, where he collaborated closely with Božidar Jakšić and Zagorka Golubović.
He was appointed Associate Professor at the University of Singidunum in 2007, and he teaches at the Faculty of European Political and Legal Studies at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
From 2008 to 2013, he was appointed Deputy Ombudsman of the Republic of Serbia, where he worked on establishing this institution and protecting the rights of national minorities, persons with disabilities, and the elderly.
He joined the Institute of Social Sciences in 2014 and was elected as its director in 2015. At the Institute, he introduced a modern approach to scientific work and implemented numerous changes in the organization and management, leading to the Institute gaining the status of a nationally significant institution and focusing its development on an international perspective.
He founded the Academic Network for Cooperation in Southeastern Europe, which brought together a large number of academic and scientific organizations and individuals.
Membership of professional organisations
- Advisory Committee for the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities, Council of Europe, Strasbourg
- General Assembly of the European Social Survey, London
- Serbian Institute in Hungary, Budapest
- Institute for Ethnic and Regional Studies, Maribor
- Committee for the Study of Human Rights and National Minorities, Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SANU), Belgrade
- Committee for the Study of Roma Life and Customs, Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SANU), Belgrade
- Bašić, G. (2018). Multikulturalizam i etnicitet. Beograd: Institut društvenih nauka.
- Bašić, G. & Jakšić, B. (2005). Umetnost preživljavanja – gde i kako žive Romi u Srbiji. Beograd: Institut za filozofiju i društvenu teoriju.
- Bašić. G. (2006). Iskušenje demokratije u multietničkom društvu. Beograd: Centar za istraživanje etniciteta.
- Bašić, G. (2010). Politička akcija – romski pokret u Evropi. Beograd: Čigoja štampa.
- Bašić G. & drugi (2018). Multiculturalism in Public Policies. Belgrade: Institute of Social Sciences.