Principal Research Fellow
Member of the Institute’s Steering Committee
PhD, Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, 1986
Bar exam, Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Serbia, 1983
MA, Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, 1983
BA, Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, 1977
- Criminology, criminal procedural law, criminal law and penology theory, violence
- Theory of gender and human rights of marginalized, multiply discriminated groups
Managed the following ISS projects:
“Compliance of the right to public assembly with the OSCE’s standards”, within “Chairmanship self-evaluation of the OSCE dimensions commitments in the Republic of Serbia”, financed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, carried out by the Institute of Social Sciences, 2015;
“Democratic models of developing social cohesion, tolerance, human rights and economic growth in political and institutional processes of EU integration in Serbia”, financed by the Ministry of Education, carried out by the Institute of Social Sciences, 2005-2010.
Participated in the ISS project entitled “Social transformations in the process of European integration – multidisciplinary approach”, supported by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development, carried out by the Institute of Social Sciences, 2011-2016, no. III 47010.
Deputy Ombudsman of the Republic of Serbia for gender equality, LGBT rights and the rights of persons with disabilities from 2008 to the beginning of 2011.
Professor at the Faculty of European Legal and Political Studies in Novi Sad from 2008 to 2013, where she taught criminal procedural law, criminology, phenomenology of violence, and gender studies. Visiting professor at the University of Iowa (USA) in the 1996/97 academic year, where she taught comparative feminist jurisprudence. Visiting professor at Central European University in Budapest from 2001 to 2004, where she taught the theory of violence and women's human rights. Visiting professor at Rosa Mayreder College in Vienna during the 2004 academic year, where she taught the theory of violence and women's human rights.
Manager of regional women's organization projects from 2000 to 2001 at the British humanitarian organization OXFAM’s office in Belgrade, and gender adviser of the OSCE Mission in Serbia from 2001 to 2008.
Since 1999 she has worked at the Institute of Social Sciences in Belgrade, where she acquired the title of senior/principal research fellow in 2000. From 1979 to 1999 she worked at the Institute for Criminological and Sociological Research in Belgrade, where she was promoted from assistant to high research fellow.
She was a member of the Council for Gender Equality of the Government of the Republic of Serbia from 2011 to 2014. From 2012 to 2014 she worked closely with the Office for Human and Minority Rights on the Strategy of Prevention and Protection Against Discrimination and the Action Plan of the Strategy.
Since 2012, she has been a member of the joint group of the Commissioner for Equality and the Ombudsman for monitoring and analysis of the legal situation of trans* people, and is now a member of the expert legal group Gayten.
She is a member of a Governmental Working Group preparing the National Action Plan for UN SC Resolution 1325. She has cooperated with state authorities and institutions, associations and organizations engaged in the promotion of human and political rights and freedoms. She is one of the authors of the model law on gender identity.
She is especially socially engaged in promoting ideas and practices respecting the principle of non-discrimination, gender equality and human rights, and in disseminating knowledge about women and marginalized groups.
Membership in professional associations:
- European Association for Gender Research, Education and Documentation (a professional organization in the field of international gender studies)
- Victimological Society of Serbia
- Serbian Association of Criminal Law Theory and Practice
- Independent Observatory for Monitoring Violence Against Women
- Representative publications:
- Nasilje i mi – ka društvu bez nasilja (Violence and us - Towards a society free of violence), 2014, Institute of Social Sciences, Belgrade, p 278.
- Zločin mržnje, govor mržnje i grafiti mržnje – razmevanje povezanosti, odgovori na pitanja (Hate crime, hate speech and hate graffiti - Understanding connections, answers to questions), 2014, Office for Human and Minority Rights, Belgrade, p 167.
- Kvalitativna analiza medijskog izveštavanja o nasilju nad ženama u Srbiji (Qualitative analysis of media coverage of violence against women in Serbia), 2013, United Nations Development Program, Belgrade.
- Ka demokratskom društvu – Rodna ravnopravnost (Towards a democratic society – Gender equality), 2011, Institute of Social Sciences, Belgrade, p 229.